Our Orange Dreamsicle Filling Recipe
This macaron brings me back to my childhood - warm summers, late nights and long bicycle rides. I remember running out to the ice cream truck with a quarter in hand, buying my orange creamsicle, then sitting on my front steps devouring with delight that creamy orange treat.
You will need a stand mixer with mixing bowl and whisk attachment, a spatula, a kitchen scale that weighs in grams, a sifter, juicer and zester.
200g confectioner’s sugar (sometimes referred to as powdered sugar or icing sugar)
113g cream cheese (the best you can buy) – at room temperature
57g butter (always unsalted when baking) – at room temperature
2g vanilla extract (as always, the best you can buy)
1 orange (we prefer Cara Cara oranges)
18g orange juice (you will get this from juicing the orange above)
2g orange zest (you will get this from zesting the orange above)
1. Wash and thoroughly dry the orange to remove any bacteria, pesticides or wax that may be present.
2. Zest about half of the orange and set the zest aside.
3. Cut the orange in half and juice it using the juicer.
4. Sift the confectioner’s sugar and set aside.
5. In the bowl of the stand mixer, cream the butter, cream cheese and vanilla.
6. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
7. With the stand mixer on low, slowly add the 18g of orange juice and then add the orange zest.
8. Scrape the sides of the bowl.
9. Add the confectioner’s sugar in 4 parts, scraping the sides of the bowl after each addition.
You now have a filling that you can use for your macarons, or do what I do, get a spoon, sit on your front steps and enjoy.
Makes 390 grams and will fill approximately 48 macarons.